The day we made it to week 12, I received a call from my OBGYN. At this point they had done the OB panel (blood work) and the results had come in. As previously mentioned, I had already had the Rhogam injection to prevent antibodies due to my blood type. As part of the OB blood work panel, they test your blood type and they test for antibodies. The Rhogam shot should prevent the antibodies from being positive, but your antibodies will show positive after the Rhogam shot and will go back to being negative. My blood work showed that I had positive antibodies and the OBGYN decided that I was now high risk for the remainder of the pregnancy. Luckily, we were able to get an appointment with the high-risk doctor the following week. When we got to the appointment, I was nervous for more than one reason. It had been more than 2 weeks since we had seen her, and we didn’t know what to expect from this visit. We got to the office and waited. When we were taken back, we started our consultation. We were asked a ton of questions about our family genetic history and our medical history. After that, we were taken back for a detailed ultrasound. This was our first ultrasound that was on my belly. We got to see so many details with this ultrasound. We could see her brain and organs. We could see her stomach and were told she is officially swallowing. It was amazing to see the details on the screen. She was in a comfortable position and didn’t want to move. Her heart was beating beautifully. We also got to see her blood flow from her umbilical cord and heart. Her blood flow was perfect! After the ultrasound, we saw the doctor. The doctor explained that the number of positive antibodies I had was more than what they would normally see from the Rhogam shot. They decided to run a second set of labs for my antibodies. This was to see if they had increased, decreased, or stayed the same. If the antibodies decreased, we would just be monitored and have more blood work to continue checking the level of antibodies. If the level stayed the same or increased, we would have a second set of labs to determine if the baby’s blood had entered my blood stream. The second test should also be able to tell us her blood type (or predict her blood type). If not, the only other sure way to know her blood type would be an amniocentesis. We are trying to avoid an amniocentesis due to the added risks. Best case scenario is that the levels decreased, and we just monitor the levels. We were told the worst-case scenario would be my antibodies continuing to rise. If this happens, there is potential for needing an in-utero blood transfusion or a blood transfusion as soon as she is born. The blood transfusion would be because the antibodies attacking her from my blood could cause her to become anemic in-utero. Her blood flow was great at this appointment, so there is no worry right now that it will be the worst-case scenario. No matter what, we will have to monitor my blood levels and monitor her development.

Little Olivia is cozy and loving her nice warm home. She loves to move and likes to lay with her chin tucked in (which made it hard to get certain measurements lol little stinker). She is currently weighing in at 3 ounces! It is so crazy that she is so tiny! She is our little fighter. She survived the ice age, survived being thawed, survived the transfer, survived 2 scares, and is now showing how strong she is by making through my blood type mess.

Blood work update:

We received the call with my follow up blood work, testing the level of my antibodies. My prior test had a range of 1-4 (I am not exactly sure what the range means or what it specifically stands for). This test revealed my level of antibodies was now at a range of 1-32. This means my levels increased. We will now be doing the secondary blood test, where they attempt to predict her blood type. They will use my blood work to try and get her blood type. We will eventually have my husbands blood tested to see if he is a double positive or single. Either way we are at risk of this happening with every future pregnancy, but it will give us a better idea of where we stand with it. After week 17 of pregnancy, we will have a weekly visit with our high-risk doctor to monitor little miss and her blood flow. We will do whatever we need to do to keep her safe and cooking. We would like her to be fully baked when we meet her!

Leave a Reply